Tuesday 23 January 2018

Natural Born Actor Teachers?

What do you think?



Which of the following statements apply to your style of teaching?  Please DO post a comment if you wish to say what you think :-)

  • I usually act a word for the students to guess the meaning
  • I'm a budding theatrical diva/divo
  • I'm an aspiring poet and I encourage my students to create their own poems
  • I always wanted to be a comedian or comedienne so teaching is a nice alternative
  • I am always cracking jokes in class
  • I usually enter my classroom with a theatrical flourish
  • I am prone to using wild gesticulations to emphasize a point
  • I often change the tone of my voice to accentuate a particular point
  • I sometimes throw in random quotes to grab my students' attention
  • I sometimes feign anger when students don't hand in their homework
  • I often act out dialogues as examples for my students
  • I encourage my students to do role play at every given opportunity
  • I love watching Youtube clips of me and my lessons
  • I give Oscar-worthy performances when I feel like it
  • I can act happy and teach when I am miserable inside
  • The show must always go on - that is my personal motto
Can you guess which of the above I have done/ I do in my lessons?

Probably everyone has a little bit of an acting side in them if it is nurtured properly.

TEACH with passion.

PERFORM with passion.

Teach + perform = PERFECT lesson?

 =
students?



2 comments:

Natasa said...

Great post, dear Janet. OK, here's what I identify with most strongly:

I'm an aspiring poet and I encourage my students to create their own poems
I always wanted to be a comedienne so teaching is a nice alternative
I am always cracking jokes in class
I usually enter my classroom with a theatrical flourish
I am prone to using wild gesticulations to emphasize a point
I often change the tone of my voice to accentuate a particular point
I sometimes throw in random quotes to grab my students' attention
I can act happy and teach when I am miserable inside
The show must always go on - that is my personal motto

What's funny is that I am actually very shy and introverted in my everyday life.

Janet said...

Dear Natasa

Thanks so much for adding your input to this post! You have chosen some great statements.

I wish I could crack more jokes in class, as I think that is a really unique and useful skill to have. Laughter binds people together and creates a relaxed atmosphere.

I never throw random quotes during my lessons but maybe I should make a point of writing some down before a lesson, and then incorporate some and see the reaction....hmmm, I must act on this soon!! Introducing random quotes would make an excellent lesson filler.

I think I can identify most strongly with the last 2 out of the nine you have chosen.

I would love to be a student in your class as they must be such great fun!!