Long gone was the person who planned everything meticulously. The Janet who always had Plan A, B, C and then even D, just in case of unforeseen circumstances. The person who had to know everything in advance. I wrote the section below on my blog on December 30th last year - 2009:The Year of Living Technologically.
The Future of 2010
Where do I go from January 1st 2010? I don't really know. I will find out.
Will my life change overnight? I very much doubt it.
Will I continue to do my best in whatever I choose to do? Yes, absolutely!
Will I challenge myself enough? I hope so. Nobody else on this planet will do it for me.
Will I continue writing my blog? Yes, I very much want to. It has become an essential part of my life.
Will I strive to incorporate new e-tools wherever practicable? I hope so.
Will I finally unleash the demons preventing me from creating a Power Point Presentation? Yes, I really really want to!!
Taking the Powerpoint Plunge
Well, my goal of finally taking the plunge and creating my very first PowerPoint presentation has well and truly been achieved. I have created 10 Powerpoints this year and I plan to do many more in 2011. Having waited so long to use this tool, I feel there is a lot I want to learn. How to insert videos and other media into my presentations is a modest goal for the new year. Many thanks to Noel for sending me some great and inspirational videos.
A Year of "Flow"
Many wonderful things have happened in 2010 and it has been an action-packed year which I would never have imagined possible at this time last year. I would like to say a huge Thank You to every single person (and furkid), who has contributed to 2010 being one of the BEST ever in my whole life.
With the help of my amazing PLN I have:
- presented at the Reform Symposium
- presented at The 3rd Virtual Round Table
- presented at L'Aquila for Tesol Italy
- presented at Tesol-Italy's 35th National Convention in Rome
- been an e-moderator on the Learning Technologies Forum at IATEFL Harrogate Online
- written 3 Moodle book reviews for Packt Publishing
- written a book review for Zen and the Act of Teaching by David Deubel
- attended an EVO course on Images4Education
- woked for Macmillan as a proofreader / editor
- worked for the Consultants-E on an exciting "DM2" e-tutoring course
- taught on Teacher Refresher courses at the fantastic Lake School of English
- been interviewed by Marisa Constantinides for ELTChat podcast
- joined and contributed to Blog4Edu comments crew
- written guest posts for the following inspiring blogs: A Journey in TEFL, Teacher Reboot Camp, Teaching Village,(can you spot Joey in the lovely images' collage?) OUPELTGlobal, & Bits'n'Bobs/ Show and Tell.
- written my favourite blog post of the whole year- 1955:The Look of Love
- taken part in a few blog carnivals including this one
- enjoyed being with my family and friends in Oxford and Abruzzo
- been back to England on the back of the Aprilia Rally Raid Capo Nord
- had lots of fun with Samantha, the new furkid on the block
- written a personal book review of "R U Listenin'? by Terry Bianchini
- made loads of home made tomato sauces
- made loads of fig jam / peach jam / apple sauces
- have made loads of Tiramisu, courtesy of Chikita, Berry, Ken Cluckie, Filito, (& Norris & Nikita now sadly demised)
- tended to and helped pick lots of olive trees
- made lots of homemade birthday cards / special events cards and Christmas cards
- unpacked a few more boxes
- collected a few more owls!
The Future of 2011
So, what does 2011 have in store for me? Well, this time I do know a little bit about what is planned!
I would like to do a 5-week Tesol Electronic Village Online course starting in January. I haven't chosen which course yet because there are so many fantastic choices.
I am interested in the following courses:
I am doing another workshop in L'Aquila for Tesol-Aquila Action Group on Wednesday February 2nd 2011. I am really looking forward to seeing all the amazing teachers again.
On February 5th I hope to be presenting at Connecting Online 2011. My wonderful mentor and former tutor on the Moodle for Teachers course Dr Nellie Deutsch has invited me to present online. It will be a great pleasure!!
In February I will be tutoring on another e-course on behalf of the Consultants-E.
I will be presenting at IATEFL Brighton on April 17th. I can't wait to meet members of my fabulous PLN and fellow tweeters during that time.
I would like to brush up my very basic riding skills and do my CBT (Compulsory Basic Motorbike Training) again at Abbey Motorcycle Instructors.
I hope to teach on more Teacher Refresher courses for the Lake School of English.
An Open Year Book
The rest of the year is an open book, waiting to be filled. More book reviews are on the cards. Who knows, I might even get down to writing my own e-book. That would be really cool.
Finally, I hope to achieve the very important goal below:
I would also like to do the following:
That's it!! The rest, I really don't know at this stage. I look forward to the new year and to seeing how it will all evolve.
Once again, many thanks to everyone I know who has helped me develop as a teacher and helped me to do my best.
In particular, I owe a lot to the amazing Shelly Terrell for encouraging me to venture into the thrilling world of online conferences and presentations. Without her constant support, I may not have given it a go.
I wish all my readers and fellow bloggers, tweeters, teachers, and students I have taught this year, a very Happy and successful New Year.
"Don't just dream it. Do it!"
Have fun, and may all your dreams come true!!