Saturday 14 March 2009

A change of scene

Back to F2F
As had been originally planned quite a while ago, I am doing a two-week teaching period at the Lake School of English, Oxford. I began again on Friday 13th and had the most genteel introduction back to F2F teaching I could have wished for. The class was delightful, a mixture of high level Spanish, Italian, Russian and Swiss students. The welcome back I received from my colleagues was warm, wonderful and uplifting. After approximately 20 weeks away from the chalkboard, I immediately felt at home as soon as I walked into the classroom. I was able to switch off from the outside world and enter an interactive, constantly flowing, dynamic, challenging and thought-provoking atmosphere.

A "Staightforward" kind of week
I will be teaching full-time next week and will be dipping into a book which is new for me called "Straightforward" published by Macmillan. It is an integrated skills package with an "e-bag" element, CD Rom, and "Straightforward Portfolios" for students. At the end of the week, I will carry out a general review of the book and will hopefully publish my thoughts.

My "Sidebar Gurus"
I will be dipping into the websites and blogs you can see on my sidebar during the next two weeks and I would like to take advantage of some of the excellent materials and ideas that can be viewed on a daily basis.

A glimmer of light
My work commitments have come at a time when my innermost thoughts are completely elsewhere, but fortunately, there is a glimmer of hope which is carrying me and my family forward into the unknown future. "Dum spiro, spero".

No comments: